The San Juan Reservoir is an exclusive spot located in the Sierra Oeste of Madrid, an area of special protection for nature.
The exact location is the town of San Martin de Valdeiglesias, 72 km from the capital. In your own vehicle, you can get there (1 h 20 m of travel) by the M-501, which connects from the A-5. By public transportation, take the bus line 551 from Principe Pio.
What is there to do in the San Juan Reservoir?
The San Juan Reservoir is known as the "Beach of Madrid." Its waters are rated as excellent by health authorities. On the Virgen de la Nueva beach the blue flag flies, proving that it is a clean and safe beach.
The San Juan Reservoir is the only reservoir in Madrid where swimming, motorized water activities and water sports are permitted.
Throughout the year, several sailing regattas are held and there is the opportunity to charter boats, as there are yacht clubs that offer training, organize events and allow renting.
What is there to see at the San Juan Reservoir?
The San Juan Reservoir can be covered in one day. It is truly an ideal place to enjoy sailing and, while sailing, you will see an incredible ecosystem of pine forests. In addition, in good weather you can take a bath!
Sailwiz has several activities in the San Juan Reservoir:
- Days of basic sailing.
- Days of maneuvering and trimming.
- Course for the Licencia de Navegación (formerly Titulín).
- Prácticas de navegación y de radio.
- Courses for iniciación de vela.
Requirements for boating in the San Juan Reservoir
The San Juan Reservoir is the only reservoir in the Community of Madrid where motorboating is permitted, but you must respect a number of requirements to perform this activity.
- Access to the navigation regulations of the basin in which you are going to navigate.
- Present the Responsible Declaration at the appropriate time.
- Consult the permitted sections for navigation.
- Having boat insurance, ITB.
- Bring a copy of statement.