Have you ever participated in a high altitude regatta? Do you know Formentera?
The Greeks called the islands of Ibiza and Formentera Pitihuas due to the high number of pine trees that populated the surface of the territory of the two islands (Pitiusas comes from pitys, pine in Greek). The name of Formentera has several possible origins. For the Greeks, "Ophiusa" which means Island of snakes. "Colubraria" for the Romans or "Frumentaria" in the Late Middle Ages (13th century) which means Wheat Island. Although it is true that there were never any snakes, but a large number of lizards of an endemic species to the island inhabit Formentera.
Of great strategic value in antiquity, essential for trade and navigation, it offered an important refuge on voyages to the African continent or when the Phoenicians and Romans arrived in the Iberian Peninsula.
This year is the 20th edition of the Ophiusa Regatta, which was created to commemorate the great voyages of ancient sailors and in the same setting they knew, setting course for one of our most beautiful islands.
The regatta starts at Port Olímpic in Barcelona. We will travel approximately 160 nautical miles, until we reach the beautiful natural port of La Savina.
We will have to choose the most suitable route, depending on the meteorological situation that we find ourselves; either leave Eivissa to starboard, passing by the island of Tagomago and crossing the Freus de Eivissa or, leaving it to port, arrive directly at La Savina.
6 days of sailing, fun, sport, emotion and contact with our beloved Mediterranean await us.
You sign up?
Departure with a minimum of 4 crew members.
- Sailboat rental of 44 feet (13.60 mts.) perfectly equipped and with all the documentation in order.
- Professional pattern.
- Registration to the "XX Ophiusa Regatta".
- Bedding (sheets and pillows).
- Final cleaning.
- Moorings or anchorages outside those provided by the organization (Badalona, Port Olimpic and La Savina).
- Meals or drinks.
- Federal licences.
- Damage caused by negligence or misuse of the ship's material or devices.
- Bring comfortable clothes and depending on the weather of the time.
- Snorkel equipment.
- White-soled footwear suitable for sailing.
- Sun cream, glasses, headlamp, cap.
DO NOT FORGET:
-- Desire to enjoy, energy, good humor and desire to share an experience that you will not forget--